Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Guilty Pleasures

I've come to realise that you guys don't know me music wise. You know a lot about where I go, what I've done, clothes I wear, but nothing really personal. I thought I'd open the door and let you guys take a peak, because it may not be what you expected.

I like to think of my taste in music as miscellaneous, I listen to all types of music, from Soul all the way to Rap. It may come as a surprise to some, seeing as the black people of my generation (here in Lagos) are known for their die-hard passion for the likes of Kanye West, Frank Ocean and The Weeknd (I like to refer to them as 'the usuals').
Don't get me wrong, Frank Ocean is without a doubt, my heart, I love Kanye West's cockiness and  The Weeknd's alcohol and love lyrics, but I wil not deny that Bon Iver, The Civil Wars and Michael Kiwanuka are my guilty pleasures.

I'm sure you see that I have not mentioned one Nigerian artist because I like to listen to music with meaning and a message that doesn't go along the lines of 'Shake that thing girl, drop it to the floor! Money is on my mind, I can't let it go' and I think Nigerian musicians are still hooked on lyrics along those lines. I do love Nigerian music because they just make you want to get off your seat and 'azonto' but we lack in the thought provoking aspect of music.. there is no balance!! I still do have my fair share of Burna Boy and Ajebutter though.

Nevertheless, here are some of my 'must haves' on your iPod:


Aluna George - Your Drums, Your Love


Micheal Kiwanuka - I'm Getting Ready


Poison & Wine - The Civil Wars


Like to Party - Burna boy

-Zoe

No comments:

Post a Comment